Mark Chisholm Wins 19th Straight Title at New Jersey Tree Climbing Competition
All other inquiries:
(NEWARK, New Jersey) - Mark Chisholm, one of the top tree care experts in the country, won his 19th straight title at the New Jersey Arborist’s Chapter of the International Society of Arboriculture’s (ISA) Tree Climbing Competition.
Chisholm competed against 22 participants and finished with an overall score of 187.32, taking first place in three events–the secured footlock, workclimb, and belayed speed climb–out of five:
- Secured Footlock – Chisholm climbed to a height of 15 meters in 15.06 seconds using only two lines and his upper and lower body strength
- Aerial Rescue – Chisholm ascended a tree in a simulated rescue attempt of a distressed climber that was perched 35 feet above the ground
- Workclimb – Using a climbing harness and rope to move up and around the tree to ring a bell and perform a simulated work task at five designated stations, Chisholm scored 74.99 points.
- Belayed Speed Climb – The Belayed Speed Climb is a timed event that measures the ability of the contestant to climb a tree while using the branches and a fixed rope. The climber is on belay while ascending the set route to the top of the tree. While belayed, Chisholm scaled a 75 foot tree in 32.65 seconds.
- Throw Line – Chisholm completed the challenge to earn 30 points, by installing throw lines and climbing ropes into set targets within the tree. (30 is the max)
- Master’s Challenge- Chisholm went into the final round with the pole position and held on for the win solidifying his 19th consecutive win.
“I’m honored to be able to continue to do what I love and compete around the world with the tree climbing competition series,” said Chisholm. “I come back to compete every year, because it’s a fun way to educate about the importance of trees and raise awareness about tree care.”
Chisholm, who works as a professional arborist with the family-owned Aspen Tree Expert Company in New Jersey, has been a spokesperson for STIHL Inc. since 2001. STIHL manufactures the world’s largest selling brand of chainsaws, which Chisholm uses professionally and personally.
About STIHL Inc.
STIHL Inc. manufactures the number one selling brand of gasoline-powered handheld outdoor power equipment in America for homeowners and professional landscapers*, as well as the number one selling brand of chainsaws in the world. STIHL products are sold through servicing power equipment retailers from coast to coast – not mass merchants. STIHL products sold through U.S. STIHL dealers are for distribution in the United States only. For more information or for the name of a local STIHL retailer, call toll free 1-800-GO STIHL (1-800-467-8445) or visit the dealer locator on the STIHL website at www.stihlusa.com.
*"Number one selling brand" is based on syndicated Irwin Broh Research (commercial landscapers) as well as independent consumer research of 2010 U.S. sales and market share data for the gasoline-powered handheld outdoor power equipment category combined sales to consumers and commercial landscapers.
STIHL is pleased to support the work of Independent We Stand, the Tree Research and Education Endowment Fund (TREE Fund), International Society of Arboriculture (ISA), the Tree Care Industry Association (TCIA), National FFA, Professional Landcare Network (PLANET), the American Tree Farm System (ATFS), and the National Association of State Park Directors.
About Mark Chisholm
One part acrobat, one part expert rope climber, one part tree physiologist, and several parts competitor and thrill seeker, Mark Chisholm is a third-generation, certified arborist with his family-owned Aspen Tree Expert Company in New Jersey. His expertise in tree care has made him a sought after consultant and industry spokesperson for the world of arboriculture, and he regularly travels the globe to consult with international arborist organizations.
Sponsored by STIHL, Chisholm has won every International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) New Jersey Chapter Tree Climbing Championship for the last 19 years and has conquered the wider tree-climbing world on three occasions, most recently in 2010, when he won his third ISA International Tree Climbing Championship. Chisholm currently holds the world record in the 50-foot secured footlock climbing event, with a time of 13.8 seconds.
Chisholm is New Jersey Certified Tree Expert #348, and his professional designations include ISA Certified Arborist, Committee for the Advancement of Arboriculture 1st Class Rated Climber, Arborist Association of New Jersey Approved Arborist, Qualified Line Clearance Arborist, First Aid and CPR Certified, President Elect of the New Jersey Chapter of the ISA, and team leader for the Office of Emergency Management Rescue Team in Jackson, N.J.