Prepare for the Storm
Prepare Your Property
- Remove dead branches and trees leaning more than 45 degrees and any branches near your roof. Remember, it is important to consult a professional for any complicated trimming, or trimming near utility lines. Your local STIHL Dealer can help you select a chainsaw and the recommended protective apparel for your specific needs.
- Clean gutters to prevent water damage. Many STIHL blowers come with optional gutter–cleaning attachments. See your local STIHL Dealer for the complete line.
- Develop a plan for window protection
Prepare Your Family
- In the event of an evacuation, determine where you're going. Plan the route.
- Select a person outside the region as a point of contact for family members.
- Prepare emergency kits containing the following items. Items should last 4–5 days:
- Water – Two quarts per person per day
- First Aid Kit
- Non–perishable food that does not require cooking
- Disposable plates, forks, knives, spoons, napkins, etc.
- Personal hygiene products (shampoo, soap, deodorant, etc.)
Prepare For The Worst
- Review your insurance policies to ensure you have the appropriate and adequate coverage. Be sure to read policies carefully to make sure you have the specific coverage (flood, wind, etc.) for your region.
- Photograph or videotape every room in your home.
- Make an inventory list of major items in your home with makes and model numbers.
- Decide which valuable items you will take with you in an evacuation situation.
- Put copies of insurance policies, house inventory lists and photos/videos in a safe place other than your home.