MS 461 R Rescue
A powerful and well-balanced saw that is designed exclusively for fire, rescue and emergency work service.
When conducting rescue operations, time is of the essence. Emergency workers need a dependable chain saw to access trouble spots, provide additional ventilation, or assist with Rapid Intervention Teams (RIT) operations. With the input of professional firefighters, STIHL designed the MS 461 R Rescue specifically for fire, rescue and emergency services work. With features like an extra-large starting handle (for use with fire gloves), an extended chip deflector, a built-in tool holder and muffler, this saw is a valuable asset for first responders from coast to coast. When time matters, this rescue saw matters.
- With a Wrap-around Handle, this saw can be used in all approved positions with the left hand as indicated in the instruction manual.
- An Adjustable Bar and Chain Oiler allows the operator to adjust the oil flow for long bars or dirty cutting conditions in max position. It also saves oil when using short bars in clean conditions.
- The Winter/Summer Shutter allows the engine and carburetor to operate at optimum temperature year-round and helps to prevent carburetor icing.
- Its Rubber-covered Steel Front Handle is designed for a secure grip and is ergonomically angled for comfort.
- An IntelliCarb™ Compensating Carburetor automatically adjusts the air/fuel ratio to maintain optimal performance during changing environmental conditions.
- The Extra Slim Profile is ideal for overall comfort and ease of use.
- An ElastoStart™ Starter Handle has a built-in shock absorber for smoother starting.
- High-tech Magnesium Housing provides long-lasting wear.
- A Decompression Valve makes starting easier.
- Its Side-access Chain Tensioner allows for easy tensioning of the saw chain.
- The Master Control Lever™ is a single lever that allows the user to operate the choke, starting throttle lock and on-off switch all from one convenient location.
- The IntelliCarb™ Compensating Carburetor helps keep RPM levels even when the filter begins to clog.
- STIHL manufactures its own saw chain for optimal performance and compatibility with your STIHL chain saw. Swiss-made STIHL OILOMATIC® Saw Chain is pre-stretched before it leaves the factory, which helps eliminate excessive stretching during the break-in period, reducing maintenance time and component wear.
- The Electronic Ignition provides easier starting and smoother running.
- An Anti-vibration System helps reduce operator fatigue and improves comfort.
- Our Ematic™ Bar Lubrication System delivers proper lubrication while reducing oil usage by up to 50%.
- Designed to stop the chain in fractions of a second, the STIHL Quickstop® Chain Brake System can be activated manually or by inertia if the kickback force is sufficient.
- The Translucent Fuel Tank allows the operator to easily check the fuel level before starting work while the Balanced Fuel and Oil Tank Capacities allow for efficient refills.
- Front and Rear Hand Guards help reduce the risk of injury.
- An All-position Carburetor allows the engine to run at full power in any approved operational position.
- Bumper Spikes help prevent pull-in and provide better control, making cutting easier.
- The Adjustable Cutting Depth Limiter (available as an optional accessory) enables the saw to be adjusted in increments – up to approximately 7 ½” – in just a few moments.
- A Combination Wrench/Screwdriver is supplied, providing easy and convenient adjustments to the saw.
- The Chain Catcher helps reduce the risk of operator contact by a chain if it should break or derail.
- Features like Heavy-duty Centrifugal Clutches, High-pressure Alloy Die Castings and STIHL-designed cylinders help provide durable, long-lasting wear.
- The Easy-to-Access Air Filters and Protected Spark Plugs provide easy chain saw maintenance.
- The Spark Arrester Muffler is designed to reduce noise levels and the emission of sparks.
- The Smooth Clean Design has no rough edges to snag on clothing or brush.
STIHL is the #1 selling brand of gasoline-powered handheld outdoor power equipment in America and the Number One selling brand of chain saws in the world*. Sold and serviced through our network of independent Dealers, STIHL power tools deliver versatility and dependability. STIHL tools are German engineered, and many are built right here in America and exported to over 90 countries around the world.* To find one of the over 8,000 STIHL Dealers near you, visit the Dealer Locator.
*A majority of STIHL products are built in the United States from domestic and foreign parts and components. "Number one selling brand" is based on syndicated Irwin Broh Research as well as independent consumer research of 2009-2013 U.S. sales and market share data for the gasoline-powered handheld outdoor power equipment category combined sales to consumers and commercial landscapers ©2014 STIHL.
|MS 461 R Rescue Specifications|
|DISPLACEMENT||76.5 cc (4.7 cu. in.)|
|ENGINE POWER||4.5 kW (6.0 bhp)|
|POWERHEAD WEIGHT||7.0 kg (15.4 lbs.)|
|GUIDE BAR LENGTHS* (Recommended ranges)||40 to 63 cm (16" to 25")|
|FUEL CAPACITY||800 cc (27.1 oz.)|
|CHAIN OIL CAPACITY||325 cc (11.0 oz.)|
|OILOMATIC® CHAIN||3/8" RDR Rescue Chain (RDR)|
|STIHL recommends (3944) 36RDR-72 STIHL RAPID™ DURO Rescue saw chain in combination with the 20" 3003 000 9421 or the RDR saw chain in combination with the optional depth limiter kit that includes the special 3003 002 9421 guide bar in 20" length.<br><br>*Depth Limiter Kit consists of depth limiter and special 20" guide bar (3003 002 9421) which must be used. Maximum depth of cut with depth limiter is 7.8 in. (20 cm). The actual listed guide bar length can vary from the effective cutting length depending upon which power head it is installed.|
* The actual listed guide bar length can vary from the effective cutting length depending upon which power head it is installed.
WARNING! Improper use of any power tool may cause serious
or fatal injury. Read, understand and follow carefully the operating
and safety instructions in your instruction manual before using such products.
STIHL products sold through U.S. STIHL dealers are for distribution in the United States only.
Reduced-Emission Engine Technology - Caring for Nature
The STIHL Inc. “Caring for Nature” seal identifies its powered products that are more environmentally conscious, producing zero or low exhaust emissions. STIHL Inc. defines “low exhaust emissions” as being cleaner than EPA and/or CARB exhaust emission standards.
Wrap Handle (R)
Saw can be used in multiple positions for felling or limbing with hands in the proper positions.
IntelliCarb™ Compensating Carburetor
The IntelliCarb™ Compensating Carburetor is designed to automatically adjust the air/fuel ratio when the air filter becomes restricted or partially clogged and maintains the engine’s correct RPM. IntelliCarb™ uses air from the clean side of the air filter to control the diaphragm and flow of fuel. As the air filter becomes dirty and less air is available for the carburetor, the IntelliCarb™ system adjusts the fuel flow to compensate for the decrease in air flow. This is in contrast to typical carburetors that utilize this air from the “dirty” side of the air box.
Side-Access Chain Tensioner
The side-access chain tensioner makes it much more convenient for the user to adjust the saw chain with a bar wrench as opposed to the typical location of the guide bar adjustment screw.
Adjustable Automatic Oiler
The Adjustable Automatic Oiler allows the user to adjust the lubricant of the guide bar and saw chain for different bar lengths and cutting conditions.
Toolless fuel and oil caps with retainers
Simply lift the lever and twist the caps to remove or tighten. There‘s no need to use a tool to tighten or loosen.
Common Features for Chain Saws
View the features common to many STIHL chain saws.
You Will Also Need
Don’t let friction cut down your chain saw’s performance. STIHL bar and chain oil is specially formulated to adhere to your chain saw’s bar and chain, providing optimal lubrication. Special oils help prevent sap and pitch from clinging, prolonging cutting performance and the lifespan of your chain parts. Ideal for use in moderate temperatures, STIHL bar and chain oil provides quality protection for your chain saw – bar none.
No matter how you slice it (or trim it or shred it), there’s no better protection for your high performance 2-stroke engine than STIHL HP Ultra. This 2-cycle engine oil has outstanding engine cleaning characteristics, plus “ultra” lubricating qualities that’s superior to other 2-cycle engine oils. This fully synthetic oil is also highly biodegradable, degrading by 80% in 21 days. We’re so confident this oil will protect your engine, we’ll double your STIHL limited warranty* when you use it. It’s that good.
*Double your warranty when you include 6 bottles of STIHL HP Ultra Oil or 6 cans of STIHL MotoMix® Premixed Fuel with your STIHL product purchase. Double limited warranty protection applies to STIHL gasoline-powered products purchased and registered for personal non-income producing, family and household purposes only. Other restrictions apply. See dealer for details.
For Your Safety
For heavyweight protection that won’t weigh you down, choose Pro Mark™ Apron Chaps from STIHL. They’re rugged, yet comfortable to wear and easily fit over your work clothes. Sewn into the legs of the chaps are nine layers of Engtex®, a cut-retardant material designed to reduce the risk or severity of injury to the body parts covered by the pads in the event of contact with the rotating saw chain of a gasoline-powered chain saw. The open-back design of these chaps makes them a great choice for hot working conditions. These Pro Mark™ apron chaps provide three additional layers of Engtex® than our standard apron chaps. STIHL chain saw protective apparel is also wash and wear, unlike some other brands that require dry cleaning or light surface cleaning.
The STIHL Pro Mark™ designation identifies products for professional users.
Available color: High Visibility Orange
Available lengths: 32", 36", 40"
See it in action!
Get a grip on your chain saw with STIHL Cut-Retardant Mitts. Made with water-resistant nylon backs and goatskin palms, these mitts offer exceptional comfort and grip without sacrificing dexterity. Engtex®, a cut-retardant material, is sewn into the back of the left glove. These mitt-style gloves also feature a separate index finger for chain saw throttle operation, while hook and loop wrist straps make fitting a breeze. These chain saw protective gloves are an excellent choice for the professional logger. STIHL chain saw protective apparel is also wash and wear, unlike some other brands that require dry cleaning or light surface cleaning.
Available color: High Visibility Orange
Available sizes: S (8), M (9), L (10), XL (11)
The woods can hold many dangers. Stay one step ahead with the Forestry Helmet System from STIHL. The protection starts with a hard shell of ABS thermoplastic. It gets even better with a six-point, ratchet-style suspension system that absorbs shock and keeps the helmet stable while you work.
The system also features a Cool Guard sweatband to keep perspiration out of your eyes, as well as a built-in rain gutter to direct rain away from your face during inclement weather. Adjustable hearing protectors comfortably reduce noise while an epoxy-coated steel full-face screen helps protect from flying debris.
Hard hat meets ANSI Z89.1-2003 Type 1 Class G & C. Hearing protectors meet ANSI S3.19-1974 and have a Noise Reduction Rating (NRR) of 24 dB(A).