A battery-powered extended reach hedge trimmer that is lightweight, versatile and provides professionals with an environmentally responsible tool for select applications.
Note: Batteries and chargers must be purchased separately.
Looking for trimming versatility? Check out the STIHL HLA 65 lithium-ion extended reach hedge trimmer. Expanding the STIHL Battery KombiSystem, the HLA 65 runs on the same universal battery shared by all Battery KombiSystem tools and offers long run times on a single charge with no gradual drop in performance.
The HLA 65 features six different locking positions, giving professionals a 105-degree operating range. Its cutter bar is also adjustable and foldable and includes an automatic blade stop when folded. The hedge trimmer is lightweight and easy to maneuver in hard-to-reach places. Its quiet motor produces zero exhaust emissions – an excellent tool for working in noise-restricted or environmentally sensitive areas. Best of all, there’s no gasoline cost and no restrictive power cords.
The HLA 65 also delivers on the cutting performance, featuring specialized blade geometry and diamond-ground blade edges for clean cuts, even through thick and tough shrubbery. The 20-inch blade length is an efficient working length for most applications, and the tip protector helps protect blade tips from damage.
Note: Run time on a single battery charge can vary based on battery type, charge level, tool model, operating conditions.
STIHL hedge trimmers and extended-reach hedge trimmers for professionals are made with premium components to ensure consistent performance, long product life and greater versatility. Get better acquainted with our professional series gasoline-powered hedge trimmers by reviewing this list of common trimmer features:
Professional Hedge Trimmers have the following features in common:
- Multi-Function Control Handle delivers easy access to ON/OFF and throttle controls on one comfortable handle. This makes it easy to use without the operator’s hand ever leaving the handle.
- Anti-Vibration System minimizes the vibration levels of handheld outdoor power equipment. The STIHL anti-vibration system helps reduce operator fatigue and provides a more comfortable working experience.
- Built-in Hanger in Rear Handle allows for easy storage.
- Easy-Access Air Filter allows for easy filter cleaning or replacement.
- Hardened and Precision-Ground Cutting Blades provide durability and long wear.
- Large Front Handle for multi-position cutting.
- Starting Throttle Lock keeps the throttle partially open during starting.
- Upright Fuel Tank with Retainer Cap for easy fueling.
In addition to the features listed above, Professional Extended-Reach Hedge Trimmers also have the following:
- Patented Low Emission, Fuel-Efficient Engine reduces exhaust emissions while saving on fuel costs.
- Electronic Ignition provides easier starting and smoother running.
- Adjustable Front Handle can be positioned for optimal comfort.
- Reduced Vibration for enhanced user comfort.
- Smooth Edges will not snag on clothing or brush.
- Throttle Trigger Interlock helps prevent accidental acceleration. It must be depressed before the throttle trigger can be activated (gasoline-powered engines).
- Double-Sided Reciprocating Blades for faster trimming.
- Easy-Access Air Filter allows for easy filter cleaning or replacement.
- Easy-Access Carburetor Adjustment allows for quick and easy maintenance and/or replacement.
- 2-Ring Pistons improve engine efficiency and hold compression longer than 1-ring pistons. Also they transfer heat from the piston to cylinder better, helping engine stay cooler and last longer.
- Heavy-Duty Steel on Steel Clutch provides durable, long-lasting wear.
- High-tech Polymer Housings are lightweight, withstand greater impact and are corrosion resistant.
- Interchangeable Gearbox allows hedge trimmer to be converted to a grass trimmer, edger and more with optional gearbox attachments.
- Long-Life Engine Cylinders provide optimal cooling, lubrication and more power output per cubic centimeter of engine displacement for maximum wear life.
- Enclosed Throttle Cables eliminate dangling and loose wires.
- Protected Spark Plug is protected yet easy to change.
- Protected Throttle Trigger helps prevent damage.
- Purge Pump Primer enables the user to prime the carburetor with fuel, providing easier starts.
- Fully Lined Drive Shaft provides smooth operation and less vibration.
Visit your local STIHL Dealer to see these hedge trimmer features in person. Your STIHL Dealer will be more than happy to answer any questions you may have. Together, we’ll help you find the hedge trimmer that best suits your needs.
STIHL is the #1 selling brand of gasoline-powered handheld outdoor power equipment in America and the Number One selling brand of chain saws in the world*. Sold and serviced through our network of independent Dealers, STIHL power tools deliver versatility and dependability. STIHL tools are German engineered, and many are built right here in America and exported to over 90 countries around the world.* To find one of the over 8,000 STIHL Dealers near you, visit the Dealer Locator.
*A majority of STIHL products are built in the United States from domestic and foreign parts and components. "Number one selling brand" is based on syndicated Irwin Broh esearch as well as independent consumer research of 2009-2012 U.S. sales and market share data for the gasoline-powered handheld outdoor power equipment category combined sales to consumers and commercial landscapers.
|HLA 65 Specifications - Professional Use|
|STROKES PER MINUTE||3000|
|WEIGHT w/ BATTERY (AP 80)||4.6 kg (10.1 lbs.)|
|WEIGHT w/ BATTERY (AP 180)||5.2 kg (11.4 lbs.)|
|RUN TIME (w/ AP 180)||Up to 120 minutes|
|RUN TIME (w/ AR 900)||Up to 660 minutes|
WARNING! Improper use of any power tool may cause serious
or fatal injury. Read, understand and follow carefully the operating
and safety instructions in your instruction manual before using such products.
STIHL products sold through U.S. STIHL dealers are for distribution in the United States only.
Reduced-Emission Engine Technology - Caring for Nature
The STIHL Inc. “Caring for Nature” seal identifies its powered products that are more environmentally conscious, producing zero or low exhaust emissions. STIHL Inc. defines “low exhaust emissions” as being cleaner than EPA and/or CARB exhaust emission standards.
The loop handle (R) is an adjustable rounded handle mounted on a shaft for support and control. The handle is designed to help control the machine in different positions, ideal for reaching tough spots. The handle is large enough to accommodate a gloved hand comfortably.
Double-Sided Cutting Blades
STIHL hedge trimmers with double-sided cutting blades cut both directions.
The tip protector makes cutting near the ground or along walls easier while protecting the trimmer’s cutters from damage.
Common Features for Hedge Trimmers
View the features common to many STIHL hedge trimmers.
You Will Also Need
Tough, sharp and made to last. The PP 70 hand pruner from STIHL is just the sort of rough-and-tumble garden tool you need to keep your landscape in line. It uses a high-quality steel blade that stays sharper, longer, so you can keep making precision cuts with it for the long haul. Its non-slip handle is ideal for average-sized hands, easy to grip and its quick-release blade lock is easy to operate. And the chrome-plated blades can be re-sharpened, even replaced, so you’re always ready when uninvited foliage grows back.
Your advanced STIHL Battery KombiSystem deserves an equally advanced charger. The STIHL AL 300 rapid battery charger fits that bill perfectly. Designed to charge your STIHL Lithium-Ion batteries in approximately 25 minutes*, the AL 300 is exactly what you need to power through your lawn care tasks. It features an onboard cooling fan and bright LED display to indicate current charge level. This smart charger even switches off automatically once your battery is fully charged.
*Charge time approximated using STIHL AP 80 Lithium-Ion batteries. Charge times may vary.
Designed to carry the weight of STIHL Lithium-Ion batteries around your waist – as well as provide convenient storage for additional batteries – the STIHL Battery Bag and Belt is your one-two punch of comfort and productivity. The belt is lightweight and features a comfortable cushion and harness buckle for ease of use. Its included battery bag holds the STIHL Lithium-Ion battery. You can even add up to two additional bags for extended operation.
But what really sets this accessory apart is its ability to power your tools from the belt itself. With its included battery adapter, you can keep the weight of the battery at your hip, making your already-light power tool unbelievably easy to operate and comfortable to hold while minimizing operator fatigue. Simply click the lightweight adapter where the battery would normally go and you’re ready to work. And with the optional double-shoulder harness, the weight of the batteries can be comfortably distributed to both the shoulders as well as the hips.
Battery not included
For extended landscaping tasks, the STIHL AP 160 Lithium-Ion battery is designed for longer run times than the AP 80. Plus, the AP 160 also delivers twice the amp hours over standard Lithium-Ion batteries, making it ideal for extended use. This 36-volt battery keeps your equipment running at full speed until it’s depleted. No gradual drops in power. And thanks to its LED charge display, you know just how much juice you have to work with.
The AP 160 weighs a mere 3.8 lbs., and can be charged hundreds of times without any noticeable loss in capacity. Even after 500 charges, the battery retains over 80% capacity. The secret is in its engineering. The battery features specialized voltage monitors and temperature sensors to help ensure optimal operation and a long service life.
For Your Safety
For landscapers who work extensively with their hands, the Landscaper Series Gloves from STIHL are made from strong-yet-supple deerhide leather. They provide fantastic wear properties and an excellent sense of touch and feel. The naturally soft leather provides all-day working comfort.
Materials: Deerhide leather
Available sizes: S, M, L, XL
Cut through your day with the protection and comfort of the STIHL Brush Shield Protector. Developed for users of clearing saws, trimmers and brushcutters, the shield offers face and hearing protection in a lightweight package. The epoxy-coated steel full-face screen helps protect you from flying debris while comfortable, adjustable hearing protectors help reduce loud tool and engine noise.
Noise Reduction Rating (NRR) of 25 dB(A)
NOTE: Goggles or protective glasses meeting ANSI Standard Z87.1 must by worn under face screen and shield for primary eye protection.
A combination of safety and style, Camo Glasses from STIHL provide 99% UV protection in a sleek, camo-pattern frame. The single lens, wrap-around design offers great protection and an overall modern look. The lenses are made from an optical-grade polycarbonate. Soft rubber temple tips and nosepiece are designed to help maintain fit while reducing slippage.
Meets ANSI Z87+ standard
Available lens colors: Bronze, Smoke, Yellow
The Reflective Safety Vest from STIHL meets the standard for use along highways and other high-traffic areas. It features a longer tail in back for maximum reflective exposure – great for workers using backpack blowers. Two front pockets and one chest pocket provide great utility for carrying job necessities.
Meets ANSI/ISEA 107-2004 standard
Available color: High-Visibility Yellow
Available sizes: M, L, XL, XXL