This battery-powered straight-shaft trimmer delivers the cutting performance needed for professional landscaping tasks.
Note: Batteries and chargers must be purchased separately.
So powerful and light, it feels like cheating. The STIHL FSA 85 professional trimmer gives landscapers the ultimate tool for working in densely populated and noise-restricted areas. Powered by 36-volt Lithium-Ion battery technology, this grass trimmer is five times quieter than the STIHL gasoline-powered equivalent. And with no need for gasoline, the trimmer eliminates all fuel costs and has zero exhaust emissions – ideal for use in close quarters and municipalities looking to go green. Better yet, no power cords.
STIHL Lithium-Ion trimmers continue to run at full capacity, even as the battery drains. You can expect nothing less than 100% performance from the FSA 85 until the battery is completely depleted. The trimmer is also balanced and lightweight, delivering excellent cutting performance and low vibration for easy, smooth operation. Its variable speed trigger allows you to control cutting speed on the fly, so you can maneuver easily around delicate plantings. And when you need to spot trim, this trimmer instantly starts up with the pull of a trigger.
Note: Run time on a single battery charge can vary based on battery type, charge level, tool model, operating conditions, user operating style and remaining battery capacity. The STIHL FSA 85 Trimmer, battery and charger are all sold separately.
Professionals demand more from their grass trimmers – more power, more comfort and more dependability. That’s why STIHL professional trimmers are in such high demand – they deliver on performance. With more power, greater comfort features and durability, STIHL professional trimmers are made for daily use. Here are some of the features you’ll find on every gasoline-powered STIHL professional grass trimmer:
- Multi-Function Control Handle delivers easy access to ON/OFF and throttle controls on one comfortable handle. This makes it easy to use without the operator’s hand ever leaving the handle. Some models feature a momentary stop switch, ensuring the switch is “ON” the next time you start – helping to prevent engine flooding.
- Adjustable Front Handle can be positioned for optimal comfort.
- Adjustable Harness adds comfort and stability during use.
- Easy-Access Air Filter allows for easy filter cleaning or replacement.
- Easy-Access Starter Assembly for infield repairs.
- Heavy-Duty Steel-on-Steel Clutch helps reduce slippage and provides durable, long-lasting wear.
- Easy-View Deflector provides easy-to-see cutting and is also designed to protect user against flying debris.
- Long-Life Engine Cylinders provide optimal cooling, lubrication and more power output per cubic centimeter of engine displacement for maximum wear life.
- Electronic Ignition provides easier starting and smoother running.
- Ergonomic Design reduces fatigue and enables comfortable operation.
- Smooth Edges will not snag on clothing or brush.
- High-Tech Polymer Housings are lightweight, withstand greater impact and are corrosion resistant.
- 2-Ring Pistons improve engine efficiency and hold compression longer than 1-ring pistons. Also they transfer heat from the piston to cylinder better, helping engine stay cooler and last longer.
- Enclosed Throttle Cables eliminate dangling and loose wires.
- Protected Choke Lever/Knob helps prevent damage.
- Protected Spark Plug is protected yet easy to change.
- Protected Throttle Trigger helps prevent damage.
- Purge Pump Primer enables the user to prime the carburetor with fuel, providing easier starts.
- Spark Arrester Muffler has large baffles which reduce noise level and contains a screen designed to reduce the emission of sparks.
- Throttle Trigger Interlock helps prevent accidental acceleration.
- Fully Lined Drive Shaft provides smooth operation and less vibration.
- Upright Fuel Tank with Retainer Cap for easy fueling.
You’ll find these powerful, professional STIHL trimmers only at servicing STIHL Dealers. See your Dealer to learn more about these quality tools and demo them before you buy. STIHL is a great investment for your landscaping business, delivering quality and improved long-term productivity.
STIHL is the #1 selling brand of gasoline-powered handheld outdoor power equipment in America*. Sold and serviced through our network of servicing Dealers, STIHL power tools deliver versatility and dependability. STIHL tools are German engineered, and many are built right here in America and exported to over 90 countries around the world.* To find one of the over 8,000 STIHL Dealers near you, visit the Dealer Locator.
*A majority of STIHL powerheads are built in the United States from domestic and foreign parts and components. "Number one selling brand" is based on syndicated Irwin Broh Research as well as independent consumer research of 2009-2013 U.S. sales and market share data for the gasoline-powered handheld outdoor power equipment category combined sales to consumers and commercial landscapers ©2014 STIHL.
|FSA 85 Specifications - Professional Use|
|WEIGHT*||4.5 kg (9.9 lbs.)|
|RUN TIME (w/ AP 180)||Up to 35 minutes|
|* With AP 180 battery. Battery and charger sold separately.|
WARNING! Improper use of any trimmer/brushcutter can cause serious or fatal injury. Read, understand and follow all safety instructions in your instruction manual. To reduce the risk of injury from blade contact, circular saw blades may be used on FS brushcutters that have a limitstop, a bicycle handle and double shoulder harness and not on FS brushcutters with a "J" handle or loop handle. Other rigid blades may be used on FS brushcutters having a bicycle handle, a "J" handle or a loop handle equipped with a barrier bar. To reduce the risk of eye injury always wear proper eye protection. Always use the appropriate deflector for the type of cutting attachment, as explained in your instruction manual.
WARNING! Improper use of any power tool may cause serious
or fatal injury. Read, understand and follow carefully the operating
and safety instructions in your instruction manual before using such products.
STIHL products sold through U.S. STIHL dealers are for distribution in the United States only.
Reduced-Emission Engine Technology - Caring for Nature
The STIHL Inc. “Caring for Nature” seal identifies its powered products that are more environmentally conscious, producing zero or low exhaust emissions. STIHL Inc. defines “low exhaust emissions” as being cleaner than EPA and/or CARB exhaust emission standards.
STIHL Electric Motor
Lightweight and compact, STIHL electric motors require minimal maintenance and feature low noise levels and reduced vibration.
Hang your cordless trimmer securely on a wall to save space using the loop in the handle housing.
See it in action!
Safety Locking Button
All STIHL Battery KombiSystem products feature a safety locking button (retaining latch) that is designed to prevent the unit from unintentional starts when the battery is inserted.
See it in action!
A thumb screw allows the ergonomic loop handle to be easily adjusted to the desired position without tools.
You Will Also Need
Use this trimmer line when working in properties with noise restrictions. The trimmer line incorporates spiral grooves to greatly reduce wind noise and is primarily used with electric and battery operated line trimmers.
Available in a variety of sizes and configurations. See Dealer for details.
Your advanced STIHL Battery KombiSystem deserves an equally advanced charger. The STIHL AL 300 rapid battery charger fits that bill perfectly. Designed to charge your STIHL Lithium-Ion batteries in approximately 25 minutes*, the AL 300 is exactly what you need to power through your lawn care tasks. It features an onboard cooling fan and bright LED display to indicate current charge level. This smart charger even switches off automatically once your battery is fully charged.
*Charge time approximated using STIHL AP 80 Lithium-Ion batteries. Charge times may vary.
For extended landscaping tasks, the STIHL AP 160 Lithium-Ion battery is designed for longer run times than the AP 80. Plus, the AP 160 also delivers twice the amp hours over standard Lithium-Ion batteries, making it ideal for extended use. This 36-volt battery keeps your equipment running at full speed until it’s depleted. No gradual drops in power. And thanks to its LED charge display, you know just how much juice you have to work with.
The AP 160 weighs a mere 3.8 lbs., and can be charged hundreds of times without any noticeable loss in capacity. Even after 500 charges, the battery retains over 80% capacity. The secret is in its engineering. The battery features specialized voltage monitors and temperature sensors to help ensure optimal operation and a long service life.
For Your Safety
For landscapers who work extensively with their hands, the Landscaper Series Gloves from STIHL are made from strong-yet-supple deerhide leather. They provide fantastic wear properties and an excellent sense of touch and feel. The naturally soft leather provides all-day working comfort.
Materials: Deerhide leather
Available sizes: S, M, L, XL
A combination of safety and style, Camo Glasses from STIHL provide 99% UV protection in a sleek, camo-pattern frame. The single lens, wrap-around design offers great protection and an overall modern look. The lenses are made from an optical-grade polycarbonate. Soft rubber temple tips and nosepiece are designed to help maintain fit while reducing slippage.
Meets ANSI Z87+ standard
Available lens colors: Bronze, Smoke, Yellow
FSA 65/FSA 85 STIHL Lithium-Ion Trimmer - Video
How to Wind a STIHL Trimmer Head - Video
Cutting Heads & Blades Selection Chart (PDF)
Download Instructions on How to Rewind Your Trimmer Head (PDF)
Product Instruction Manual (PDF)
Product Safety Manual (PDF)
STIHL Limited Warranty