MSA 160 C-BQ
Innovative and surprisingly powerful STIHL Lithium-Ion battery-powered chainsaw.
Now here’s a game changer in chainsaws. Lightweight. Powerful. Easy to start. Quiet. With no mixing. No cords. And almost no sound. (Your neighbors will love this saw as much as you do.) And that’s just for starters. The STIHL MSA 160 C-BQ is the first cordless chainsaw tough enough to carry the name STIHL. Powered by a STIHL Lithium-Ion battery, this little workhorse starts instantly, delivering 36 volts of power from its commercial-grade, high-torque brushless motor. Enough power to take on just about any cutting job in your yard. And the Quick Chain Adjuster allows you to adjust the chain tension without tools for added convenience. Each charge of the AP 180 Lithium-Ion battery gives you up to 40 minutes of cutting time for storm cleanup, carpentry tasks and firewood cutting.
Discover for yourself some of the features that make these gasoline-powered chainsaws ideal for around-the-home use:
- STIHL manufactures its own saw chain for optimal performance and compatibility with your STIHL chainsaw. Swiss-made STIHL OILOMATIC® Saw Chain is pre-stretched before it leaves the factory, which helps eliminate excessive stretching during the break-in period, reducing maintenance time and component wear.
- Our Ematic™ Bar Lubrication System delivers proper lubrication while reducing oil usage by up to 50%.
- The Automatic Bar and Chain Oiler allows the operator to concentrate on cutting rather than bar and chain lubrication.
- The Electronic Ignition provides dependable and easier starting along with smoother running and performance.
- STIHL chain saws feature an Anti-vibration System to help reduce operator fatigue and improve comfort.
- The STIHL Quickstop® Chain Brake System is designed to stop the chain in fractions of a second and can be activated manually or by inertia if the kickback force is sufficient.
- The Translucent Fuel Tank allows the operator to easily check the fuel level before starting work while the Balanced Fuel and Oil Tank are designed to make sure you run out of fuel before you run out of bar oil, thus extending the life of the saw chain.
- The Front Handle is designed for a secure grip and is ergonomically angled for comfort.
- Front and Rear Hand Guards are designed to reduce the risk of injury.
- Bumper Spikes help prevent pull-in and provide better control, making cutting easier.
- An All-position Carburetor allows the engine to run at full power in any approved operational position.
- A Combination Wrench/Screwdriver is supplied, providing convenient adjustments to the saw.
- The Chain Catcher helps reduce the risk of operator contact by a chain if it should break or derail.
- Features like Heavy-duty Centrifugal Clutches, High-pressure Alloy Die Castings and STIHL-designed Cylinders help provide durable, long-lasting wear.
- Homeowners will also enjoy lightweight High-tech Polymer Housings for greater impact resistance, as well as Easy-to-Access Air Filters and Protected Spark Plugs.
- The Spark Arrester Muffler is designed to reduce noise levels and the emission of sparks.
- The Smooth Clean Design has no rough edges to snag on clothing or brush.
STIHL is the #1 selling brand of gasoline-powered handheld outdoor power equipment in America*. Sold and serviced through our network of independent Dealers, STIHL power tools deliver versatility and dependability. STIHL tools are German engineered, and many are built right here in America and exported to over 90 countries around the world.* To find one of the over 8,000 STIHL Dealers near you, visit the Dealer Locator.
*A majority of STIHL powerheads are built in the United States from domestic and foreign parts and components. "Number one selling brand" is based on syndicated Irwin Broh Research as well as independent consumer research of 2009-2013 U.S. sales and market share data for the gasoline-powered handheld outdoor power equipment category combined sales to consumers and commercial landscapers ©2014 STIHL.
|MSA 160 C-BQ Specifications - Mid-Range Use|
|GUIDE BAR LENGTHS* (Recommended ranges)||25 to 35cm (10" to 14")|
|CHAIN OIL CAPACITY||210 cc (7.4 oz.)|
|OILOMATIC® CHAIN||¼” PM3|
|RUN TIME (w/ AP 180)||Up to 38 minutes|
|WEIGHT (w/ AP 180)||4.9 kg (10.8 lbs.)|
|WEIGHT w/o BATTERY||3.2 kg (7.0 lbs.)|
|Battery and charger sold separately. STIHL recommends #3616 (71 PM3 64) OILOMATIC® saw chain and 12" 3005 008 3405 STIHL ROLLOMATIC® E guide bar combination. The actual listed guide bar length can vary from the effective cutting length depending upon which powerhead it is installed.|
* The actual listed guide bar length can vary from the effective cutting length depending upon which power head it is installed.
WARNING! Improper use of any power tool may cause serious
or fatal injury. Read, understand and follow carefully the operating
and safety instructions in your instruction manual before using such products.
STIHL products sold through U.S. STIHL dealers are for distribution in the United States only.
Reduced-Emission Engine Technology - Caring for Nature
The STIHL Inc. “Caring for Nature” seal identifies its powered products that are more environmentally conscious, producing zero or low exhaust emissions. STIHL Inc. defines “low exhaust emissions” as being cleaner than EPA and/or CARB exhaust emission standards.
Ematic™ Lubrication System
The Ematic™ guide bar when used with STIHL OILOMATIC® saw chain will provide proper lubrication and less oil consumption than conventional methods. The system works because two ramps, strategically placed in the guide bar rail, help contain the flow of oil and direct all lubrication to the sliding faces of the bar and chain links as well as the rivets and driver holes, which in turn can reduce bar oil consumption up to 50%.
STIHL Electric Motor
Lightweight and compact, STIHL electric motors require minimal maintenance and feature low noise levels and reduced vibration.
Quick Chain Adjuster (QCA) (B)
The Quick Chain Adjuster (QCA) (B) allows the user to adjust the tension of the chain without the use of tools. This allows for easy chain adjustment.
See it in action!
STIHL Quickstop® Plus (Q) - an additional chain braking feature
STIHL offers an additional, manually-activated chain brake on some models. This system is designed to engage when the operator’s right hand completely releases the rear handle, stopping the chain within one second. Available on some models.
See it in action!
STIHL chain saws are equipped with a chain stopping system designed to reduce the risk of injury in certain kickback situations. It is called a STIHL Quickstop® chain brake. The STIHL Quickstop® chain brake is designed to stop the rotation of the chain if activated by the operator’s hand or by inertia if the saw kicks back with sufficient force. In some working positions, the STIHL Quickstop® chain brake can be activated by inertia, stopping the chain within fractions of a second.
See it in action!
You Will Also Need
For extended landscaping tasks, the STIHL AP 180 Lithium-Ion battery is designed to deliver consistently long run times with no fades or "brown outs." The unique design of this 36-volt powerhouse keeps even the most demanding tools of the STIHL Battery Kombi line running at full speed until it's depleted – no gradual drops in power. And the LED charge display lets you know just how much juice you have to work with, so you don't get caught in the middle of a job. The AP 180 weighs a mere 3.8 lbs. and can be charged hundreds of times without any noticeable loss in capacity. Even after 500 charges, the battery retains over 80% capacity. The secret is in its engineering. The battery features specialized voltage monitors and temperature sensors to help ensure optimal operation and a long service life.
Part of the STIHL Lithium-Ion Battery KombiSystem, the AL 500 delivers the fastest charging time for all STIHL Lithium-Ion batteries. Now, you can spend less time charging and complete your projects faster. The AL 500 will even charge the high-capacity AR 900 backpack battery in less than 2 hours. For AP 80 and AP 180 batteries, charge time is just 25 minutes!
For Your Safety
For heavyweight protection that won’t weigh you down, choose Pro Mark™ Apron Chaps from STIHL. They’re rugged, yet comfortable to wear and easily fit over your work clothes. Sewn into the legs of the chaps are nine layers of Engtex®, a cut-retardant material designed to reduce the risk or severity of injury to the body parts covered by the pads in the event of contact with the rotating saw chain of a gasoline-powered chainsaw. The open-back design of these chaps makes them a great choice for hot working conditions. These Pro Mark™ apron chaps provide three additional layers of Engtex® than our standard apron chaps. STIHL chainsaw protective apparel is also wash and wear, unlike some other brands that require dry cleaning or light surface cleaning.
The STIHL Pro Mark™ designation identifies products for professional users.
Available color: High Visibility Orange
Available lengths: 32", 36", 40"
See it in action!
Get a grip on your chainsaw with STIHL Cut-Retardant Mitts. Made with water-resistant nylon backs and goatskin palms, these mitts offer exceptional comfort and grip without sacrificing dexterity. Engtex®, a cut-retardant material, is sewn into the back of the left glove. These mitt-style gloves also feature a separate index finger for chainsaw throttle operation, while hook and loop wrist straps make fitting a breeze. These chainsaw protective gloves are an excellent choice for the professional logger. STIHL chainsaw protective apparel is also wash and wear, unlike some other brands that require dry cleaning or light surface cleaning.
Available color: High Visibility Orange
Available sizes: S (8), M (9), L (10), XL (11)
The woods can hold many dangers. Stay one step ahead with the Forestry Helmet System from STIHL. The protection starts with a hard shell of ABS thermoplastic. It gets even better with a six-point, ratchet-style suspension system that absorbs shock and keeps the helmet stable while you work.
The system also features a Cool Guard sweatband to keep perspiration out of your eyes, as well as a built-in rain gutter to direct rain away from your face during inclement weather. Adjustable hearing protectors comfortably reduce noise while an epoxy-coated steel full-face screen helps protect from flying debris.
Hard hat meets ANSI Z89.1-2003 Type 1 Class G. Hearing protectors meet ANSI S3.19-1974 and have a Noise Reduction Rating (NRR) of 24 dB(A).