A high-performance, high-tech, fuel-efficient chainsaw.
Men's Journal Approved!
Read their review!
Check out many of the features that make these gasoline-powered chainsaws in a class of their own:
- The Master Control Lever™ is a single lever that allows the user to operate the choke, starting throttle lock and on-off switch all from one convenient location.
- The IntelliCarb™ Compensating Carburetor helps keep RPM levels even when the filter begins to clog.
- STIHL manufactures its own saw chain for optimal performance and compatibility with your STIHL chainsaw. Swiss-made STIHL OILOMATIC® Saw Chain is pre-stretched before it leaves the factory, which helps eliminate excessive stretching during the break-in period, reducing maintenance time and component wear.
- The Electronic Ignition provides easier starting and smoother running.
- An Anti-vibration System helps reduce operator fatigue and improves comfort.
- Our Ematic™ Bar Lubrication System delivers proper lubrication while reducing oil usage by up to 50%.
- The Automatic Bar and Chain Oiler allows the operator to concentrate on cutting rather than bar and chain lubrication.
- Designed to stop the chain in fractions of a second, the STIHL Quickstop® Chain Brake System can be activated manually or by inertia if the kickback force is sufficient.
- The Translucent Fuel Tank allows the operator to easily check the fuel level before starting work while the Balanced Fuel and Oil Tank Capacities allow for efficient refills.
- The Front Handle is designed for a secure grip and is ergonomically angled for comfort.
- Front and Rear Hand Guards help reduce the risk of injury.
- Bumper Spikes help prevent pull-in and provide better control, making cutting easier.
- An All-position Carburetor allows the engine to run at full power in any approved operational position.
- A Combination Wrench/Screwdriver is supplied, providing easy and convenient adjustments to the saw.
- The Chain Catcher helps reduce the risk of operator contact by a chain if it should break or derail.
- Features like Heavy-duty Centrifugal Clutches, High-pressure Alloy Die Castings and STIHL-designed "longlife" cylinders help provide durable, long-lasting wear.
- Homeowners will also enjoy lightweight High-tech Polymer Housings for greater impact resistance, as well as Easy-to-Access Air Filters and Protected Spark Plugs.
- The Spark Arrester Muffler is designed to reduce noise levels and the emission of sparks.
- The Smooth Clean Design has no rough edges to snag on clothing or brush.
STIHL is the #1 selling brand of gasoline-powered handheld outdoor power equipment in America*. Sold and serviced through our network of independent Dealers, STIHL power tools deliver versatility and dependability. STIHL tools are German engineered, and many are built right here in America and exported to over 90 countries around the world.* To find one of the over 8,000 STIHL Dealers near you, visit the Dealer Locator.
*A majority of STIHL powerheads are built in the United States from domestic and foreign parts and components. "Number one selling brand" is based on syndicated Irwin Broh Research as well as independent consumer research of 2009-2013 U.S. sales and market share data for the gasoline-powered handheld outdoor power equipment category combined sales to consumers and commercial landscapers ©2014 STIHL.
|MS 271 Specifications - Mid-Range Use|
|DISPLACEMENT||50.2 cc (3.06 cu. in.)|
|ENGINE POWER||2.6 kW (3.49 bhp)|
|POWERHEAD WEIGHT||5.6 kg (12.3 lbs.)|
|GUIDE BAR LENGTHS* (Recommended ranges)||40 to 50 cm (16" to 20")|
|FUEL CAPACITY||500 cc (16.9 oz.)|
|CHAIN OIL CAPACITY||240 cc (8.12 oz.)|
|OILOMATIC® CHAIN||26 RM3|
|STIHL recommends #3634 (26 RM3 67) OILOMATIC® saw chain and 16" 3003 008 6813 STIHL ROLLOMATIC® Ematic™ guide bar combination. The actual listed guide bar length can vary from the effective cutting length depending upon which powerhead it is installed.|
WARNING! The occurrence called “kickback” can cause serious
or fatal injury. Always read the instruction manual carefully before
using your saw. STIHL uses a green and yellow color-coding
system to help you select a powerhead, bar and chain combination
that complies with the kickback requirements of ANSI
Standard B175.1 (gasoline-powered saws) and §30 of UL 1662/
ANSI Standard B175.1 (electric chain saws). Ask your STIHL
dealer about safe operating procedures and the advantages of
the STIHL Quickstop® chain brake, STIHL Quickstop® Plus additional chain braking feature (Q), STIHL reduced kickback bars and STIHL low-kickback
STIHL recommends the use of green reduced kickback bars and green low kickback chains on all STIHL chain saws.
* The actual listed guide bar length can vary from the effective cutting length depending upon which power head it is installed.
Note: STIHL recommends use of fuel with no more than 10% Ethanol content. Using fuel with greater than 10% Ethanol content may cause damage to your equipment and may void your STIHL warranty. Learn More…
WARNING! Improper use of any power tool may cause serious
or fatal injury. Read, understand and follow carefully the operating
and safety instructions in your instruction manual before using such products.
STIHL products sold through U.S. STIHL dealers are for distribution in the United States only.
Built in the USA
Indicates products that are built in the United States from domestic and foreign parts and components.
Pre-Separation Air Filtration System
This time-saving technology boosts the efficiency of the engine’s filter system, doubling the time between air filter cleanings. Air drawn into the engine is first separated via centrifugal force, ejecting the heavier dirt particles before being routed to the air filter. This pre-separation means less dirt to be captured by the air filter, resulting in less frequent cleaning and maintenance.
STIHL has developed a system for minimizing the vibration levels of handheld outdoor power equipment. The STIHL anti-vibration system helps reduce operator fatigue and provides a more comfortable working experience.
Toolless fuel and oil caps with retainers
Simply lift the lever and twist the caps to remove or tighten. There‘s no need to use a tool to tighten or loosen.
Side-Access Chain Tensioner
The side-access chain tensioner makes it much more convenient for the user to adjust the saw chain with a bar wrench as opposed to the typical location of the guide bar adjustment screw.
Common Features for Chain Saws
View the features common to many STIHL chain saws.
You Will Also Need
*Double your warranty when you include STIHL HP Ultra Oil (six 2.6-oz. bottles) or STIHL MotoMix® premixed fuel (six 32-oz. cans or a 1-gal. container) with your STIHL product purchase. Double limited warranty protection applies to STIHL gasoline-powered products purchased and registered for personal non-income producing, family and household purposes only. Other restrictions apply. See dealer for details.
For Your Safety
The STIHL Pro Mark™ designation identifies products for professional users.
Available color: High Visibility Orange
Available lengths: 32", 36", 40"
See it in action!
Available color: High Visibility Orange
Available sizes: S (8), M (9), L (10), XL (11)
The system also features a Cool Guard sweatband to keep perspiration out of your eyes, as well as a built-in rain gutter to direct rain away from your face during inclement weather. Adjustable hearing protectors comfortably reduce noise while an epoxy-coated steel full-face screen helps protect from flying debris.
Hard hat meets ANSI Z89.1-2003 Type 1 Class G & C. Hearing protectors meet ANSI S3.19-1974 and have a Noise Reduction Rating (NRR) of 24 dB(A).