For a side-by-side comparison of all STIHL chain saws, download our Chain Saw Comparison Chart.
*The actual listed guide bar length can vary from the effective cutting length depending upon which power head it is installed.
- With a Wrap-around Handle, this saw can be used in all approved positions with the left hand as indicated in the instruction manual.
- An Adjustable Bar and Chain Oiler allows the operator to adjust the oil flow for long bars or dirty cutting conditions in max position. It also saves oil when using short bars in clean conditions.
- The Winter/Summer Shutter allows the engine and carburetor to operate at optimum temperature year-round and helps to prevent carburetor icing.
- Its Rubber-covered Steel Front Handle is designed for a secure grip and is ergonomically angled for comfort.
- An IntelliCarb™ Compensating Carburetor automatically adjusts the air/fuel ratio to maintain optimal performance during changing environmental conditions.
- The Extra Slim Profile is ideal for overall comfort and ease of use.
- An ElastoStart™ Starter Handle has a built-in shock absorber for smoother starting.
- High-tech Magnesium Housing provides long-lasting wear.
- A Decompression Valve makes starting easier.
- Its Side-access Chain Tensioner allows for easy tensioning of the saw chain.
- The Master Control Lever™ is a single lever that allows the user to operate the choke, starting throttle lock and on-off switch all from one convenient location.
- The IntelliCarb™ Compensating Carburetor helps keep RPM levels even when the filter begins to clog.
- STIHL manufactures its own saw chain for optimal performance and compatibility with your STIHL chain saw. Swiss-made STIHL OILOMATIC® Saw Chain is pre-stretched before it leaves the factory, which helps eliminate excessive stretching during the break-in period, reducing maintenance time and component wear.
- The Electronic Ignition provides easier starting and smoother running.
- An Anti-vibration System helps reduce operator fatigue and improves comfort.
- Our Ematic™ Bar Lubrication System delivers proper lubrication while reducing oil usage by up to 50%.
- Designed to stop the chain in fractions of a second, the STIHL Quickstop® Chain Brake System can be activated manually or by inertia if the kickback force is sufficient.
- The Translucent Fuel Tank allows the operator to easily check the fuel level before starting work while the Balanced Fuel and Oil Tank Capacities allow for efficient refills.
- Front and Rear Hand Guards help reduce the risk of injury.
- An All-position Carburetor allows the engine to run at full power in any approved operational position.
- Bumper Spikes help prevent pull-in and provide better control, making cutting easier.
- The Adjustable Cutting Depth Limiter (available as an optional accessory) enables the saw to be adjusted in increments – up to approximately 7 ½” – in just a few moments.
- A Combination Wrench/Screwdriver is supplied, providing easy and convenient adjustments to the saw.
- The Chain Catcher helps reduce the risk of operator contact by a chain if it should break or derail.
- Features like Heavy-duty Centrifugal Clutches, High-pressure Alloy Die Castings and STIHL-designed cylinders help provide durable, long-lasting wear.
- The Easy-to-Access Air Filters and Protected Spark Plugs provide easy chain saw maintenance.
- The Spark Arrester Muffler is designed to reduce noise levels and the emission of sparks.
- The Smooth Clean Design has no rough edges to snag on clothing or brush.
STIHL is the #1 selling brand of gasoline-powered handheld outdoor power equipment in America and the Number One selling brand of chain saws in the world*. Sold and serviced through our network of independent Dealers, STIHL power tools deliver versatility and dependability. STIHL tools are German engineered, and many are built right here in America and exported to over 90 countries around the world.* To find one of the over 8,000 STIHL Dealers near you, visit the Dealer Locator.
*A majority of STIHL products are built in the United States from domestic and foreign parts and components. "Number one selling brand" is based on syndicated Irwin Broh Research as well as independent consumer research of 2009-2012 U.S. sales and market share data for the gasoline-powered handheld outdoor power equipment category combined sales to consumers and commercial landscapers.
|Compare||Model||Displacement||Engine Power||Powerhead Weight||Guide Bar Lengths* (Recommended Ranges)|
|MS 461 R Rescue||76.5 cc (4.7 cu. in.)||4.5 kW (6.0 bhp)||7.0 kg (15.4 lbs.)||40 to 63 cm (16" to 25")|