Andreas Stihl developed the first electric chainsaw in 1926 and our first gasoline-powered saw in 1929. And not unlike the early automobiles of the Roaring 20’s, our chainsaws’ essential components – engine, bar and chain – remain familiar, though very much advanced, elements of our original chainsaw. Today, STIHL continues to put a high value on engineering and performance, we remain the only gasoline-powered chainsaw company that designs and manufactures its own guide bars and saw chain to ensure optimal performance in the field.
For a side-by-side comparison of all STIHL chainsaws, download our Chainsaw Comparison Chart.
*The actual listed guide bar length can vary from the effective cutting length depending upon which power head it is installed.
STIHL professional chainsaws are made to deliver the power you need when cutting wood is not just a hobby, but a way of life. With high power-to-weight ratios and heavy-duty components, a gasoline-powered STIHL professional saw will keep you cutting day in and day out with these features:
- High-tech Magnesium Housing provides long-lasting wear.
- An Adjustable Bar and Chain Oiler allows the operator to adjust the oil flow for long bars or dirty cutting conditions in max position. It also saves oil when using short bars in clean conditions.
- An IntelliCarb™ Compensating Carburetor automatically adjusts the air/fuel ratio to maintain optimal performance during changing environmental conditions.
- The Extra Slim Profile is ideal for overall comfort and ease of use.
- Its Side-access Chain Tensioner allows for easy tensioning of the saw chain.
- The Master Control Lever™ is a single lever that allows the user to operate the choke, starting throttle lock and on-off switch all from one convenient location.
- STIHL manufactures its own saw chain for optimal performance and compatibility with your STIHL chainsaw. Swiss-made STIHL OILOMATIC® Saw Chain is pre-stretched before it leaves the factory, which helps eliminate excessive stretching during the break-in period, reducing maintenance time and component wear.
- The Electronic Ignition provides easier starting and smoother running.
- An Anti-vibration System helps reduce operator fatigue and improves comfort.
- Our Ematic™ Bar Lubrication System delivers proper lubrication while reducing oil usage by up to 50%.
- Designed to stop the chain in fractions of a second, the STIHL Quickstop® Chain Brake System can be activated manually or by inertia if the kickback force is sufficient.
- The Translucent Fuel Tank allows the operator to easily check the fuel level before starting work while the Balanced Fuel and Oil Tank Capacities allow for efficient refills.
- The Front Handle is designed for a secure grip and is ergonomically angled for comfort.
- Front and Rear Hand Guards help reduce the risk of injury.
- Bumper Spikes help prevent pull-in and provide better control, making cutting easier.
- An All-position Carburetor allows the engine to run at full power in any approved operational position.
- A Combination Wrench/Screwdriver is supplied, providing easy and convenient adjustments to the saw.
- The Chain Catcher helps reduce the risk of operator contact by a chain if it should break or derail.
- Features like Heavy-duty Centrifugal Clutches, High-pressure Alloy Die Castings and STIHL-designed cylinders help provide durable, long-lasting wear.
- The Easy-to-Access Air Filters and Protected Spark Plugs provide easy chainsaw maintenance.
- The Spark Arrester Muffler is designed to reduce noise levels and the emission of sparks.
- The Smooth Clean Design has no rough edges to snag on clothing or brush.
STIHL is the #1 selling brand of gasoline-powered handheld outdoor power equipment in America*. Sold and serviced through our network of independent Dealers, STIHL power tools deliver versatility and dependability. STIHL tools are German engineered, and many are built right here in America and exported to over 90 countries around the world.* To find one of the over 8,000 STIHL Dealers near you, visit the Dealer Locator.
*A majority of STIHL powerheads are built in the United States from domestic and foreign parts and components. "Number one selling brand" is based on syndicated Irwin Broh Research as well as independent consumer research of 2009-2013 U.S. sales and market share data for the gasoline-powered handheld outdoor power equipment category combined sales to consumers and commercial landscapers ©2014 STIHL.
|Compare||Model||Displacement||Engine Power||Powerhead Weight||Guide Bar Lengths* (Recommended Ranges)|
|MSE 220||--||1.7 kW (15.0 amps)||5.2 kg (11.5 lbs.)||40, 45 and 50 cm (16", 18" and 20")|
|MS 441 C-MQ MAGNUM®||70.7 cc (4.3 cu.in.)||4.1 kW (5.5 bhp)||6.7 kg (14.8 lbs.)||40 to 80 cm (16" to 32")|
|MS 441 C-M MAGNUM®||70.7 cc (4.3 cu. in.)||4.2 kW (5.6 bhp)||6.6 kg (14.6 lbs.)||40 to 80 cm (16" to 32")|
|MS 261 C-M||50.5 cc (3.08 cu. in.)||2.9 kW (3.9 bhp)||5.2 kg (11.6 lbs.)||
40 to 50cm (16" to 20")
|MS 261 C-MQ||50.5 cc (3.08 cu. in.)||2.9 kW (3.9 bhp)||5.5 kg (12.13 lbs.)||
40 to 50cm (16" to 20")
|MS 362 C-M||59.0 cc (3.6 cu. in.)||3.5 kW (4.7 bhp)||5.8 kg (12.8 lbs)||40 to 63 cm (16" to 25")|
|MS 362 C-MQ||59.0 cc (3.6 cu. in.)||3.5 kW (4.7 hp)||6.0 kg (13.2 lbs)||40 to 63 cm (16" to 25")|
|MS 461||76.5 cc (4.7 cu. in.)||4.5 kW (6.0 bhp)||6.6 kg (14.6 lbs.)||40 to 80 cm (16" to 32")|
|MS 461 R||76.5 cc (4.7 cu. in.)||4.5 kW (6.0 bhp)||6.9 kg (15.2 lbs.)||40 to 80 cm (16" to 32")|
|MS 241 C-M||42.6 cc (2.6 cu. in.)||2.2 kW (2.95 bhp)||4.7 kg (10.36 lbs.)||30 to 40 cm (12" to 16") STIHL ROLLOMATIC® E|
|MS 660 MAGNUM®||91.6 cc (5.6 cu. in.)||5.2 kW (7.0 bhp)||7.5 kg (16.5 lbs.)||40 to 90 cm (16" to 36")|
|MS 660 R MAGNUM®||91.6 cc (5.6 cu. in.)||5.2 kW (7.0 bhp)||7.6kg (16.8 lbs.)||40 to 90 cm (16" to 36")|
|MS 880 MAGNUM®||121.6 cc (7.42 cu. in.)||6.4 kW (8.6 bhp)||10.1 kg (22.3 lbs.)||43 to 150 cm (17" to 59")|
|MS 880 R MAGNUM®||121.6 cc (7.42 cu. in.)||6.4 kW (8.6 bhp)||10.3 kg (22.7 lbs.)||43 to 150 cm (17" to 59")|