You may be surprised to learn that you can own STIHL quality for less than you think. STIHL chainsaws, even those designed for occasional use around the home, come with anti-vibration technology, our STIHL Quickstop® Chain Brake and a Master Control Lever™, making start-up easy.
If you are looking for something lightweight for use close to the house, check out one of our powerful yet quiet electric chainsaws. They start with just a pull of the trigger.
For a side-by-side comparison of all STIHL chainsaws, download our Chainsaw Comparison Chart.
**A majority of STIHL powerheads are built in the United States from domestic and foreign parts and components.
*The actual listed guide bar length can vary from the effective cutting length depending upon which power head it is installed.
Discover for yourself some of the features that make these gasoline-powered chainsaws ideal for around-the-home use:
- STIHL manufactures its own saw chain for optimal performance and compatibility with your STIHL chainsaw. Swiss-made STIHL OILOMATIC® Saw Chain is pre-stretched before it leaves the factory, which helps eliminate excessive stretching during the break-in period, reducing maintenance time and component wear.
- Our Ematic™ Bar Lubrication System delivers proper lubrication while reducing oil usage by up to 50%.
- The Automatic Bar and Chain Oiler allows the operator to concentrate on cutting rather than bar and chain lubrication.
- The Electronic Ignition provides dependable and easier starting along with smoother running and performance.
- STIHL chain saws feature an Anti-vibration System to help reduce operator fatigue and improve comfort.
- The STIHL Quickstop® Chain Brake System is designed to stop the chain in fractions of a second and can be activated manually or by inertia if the kickback force is sufficient.
- The Translucent Fuel Tank allows the operator to easily check the fuel level before starting work while the Balanced Fuel and Oil Tank are designed to make sure you run out of fuel before you run out of bar oil, thus extending the life of the saw chain.
- The Front Handle is designed for a secure grip and is ergonomically angled for comfort.
- Front and Rear Hand Guards are designed to reduce the risk of injury.
- Bumper Spikes help prevent pull-in and provide better control, making cutting easier.
- An All-position Carburetor allows the engine to run at full power in any approved operational position.
- A Combination Wrench/Screwdriver is supplied, providing convenient adjustments to the saw.
- The Chain Catcher helps reduce the risk of operator contact by a chain if it should break or derail.
- Features like Heavy-duty Centrifugal Clutches, High-pressure Alloy Die Castings and STIHL-designed Cylinders help provide durable, long-lasting wear.
- Homeowners will also enjoy lightweight High-tech Polymer Housings for greater impact resistance, as well as Easy-to-Access Air Filters and Protected Spark Plugs.
- The Spark Arrester Muffler is designed to reduce noise levels and the emission of sparks.
- The Smooth Clean Design has no rough edges to snag on clothing or brush.
STIHL is the #1 selling brand of gasoline-powered handheld outdoor power equipment in America*. Sold and serviced through our network of independent Dealers, STIHL power tools deliver versatility and dependability. STIHL tools are German engineered, and many are built right here in America and exported to over 90 countries around the world.* To find one of the over 8,000 STIHL Dealers near you, visit the Dealer Locator.
*A majority of STIHL powerheads are built in the United States from domestic and foreign parts and components. "Number one selling brand" is based on syndicated Irwin Broh Research as well as independent consumer research of 2009-2013 U.S. sales and market share data for the gasoline-powered handheld outdoor power equipment category combined sales to consumers and commercial landscapers ©2014 STIHL.
|Compare||Model||Displacement||Engine Power||Powerhead Weight||Guide Bar Lengths* (Recommended Ranges)|
|MS 170||30.1 cc (1.8 cu. in.)||1.3 kW (1.7 bhp)||3.9 kg (8.6 lbs.)||30 to 40 cm (12" to 16")|
|MS 180 C-BE||31.8 cc (1.9 cu. in.)||1.5 kW (2.0 bhp)||4.2 kg (9.3 lbs.)||30 to 40cm (12" to 16")|
|MS 171||30.1 cc (1.8 cu. in.)||1.3 kW (1.7 bhp)||4.3 kg (9.5 lbs.)||30 to 40 cm (12" to 16")|
|MSA 160 C-BQ||--||--||--||25 to 35cm (10" to 14")|
|MS 181 C-BE||31.8 cc (1.9 cu. in.)||1.5 kW (2.0 bhp)||4.6 kg (10.1 lbs.)||30 to 40 cm (12" to 16")|
|MS 251||45.6 cc (2.78 cu. in.)||2.2 kW (2.95 bhp)||4.9 kg (10.8 lbs.)||
40 to 45 cm (16" to 18")
MSE 170 C-BQ
Not Yet Rated
|--||1.5 kW (13.1 amps)||3.8 kg (8.4 lbs.)||30 to 45 cm (12" to 16")|
|MS 211 C-BE||35.2 cc (2.2 cu. in.)||1.7 kW (2.3 bhp)||4.6 kg (10.1 lbs.)||30 to 40 cm (12" to 16")|
|MS 250||45.4 cc (2.77 cu. in.)||2.2 kW (3.0 bhp)||4.6 kg (10.1 lbs.)||40 to 45 cm (16" to 18")|
|MS 251 C-BE||45.6 cc (2.78 cu. in.)||2.2 kW (2.95 bhp)||5.3 kg (11.9 lbs.)||
40 to 45 cm (16" to 18")