Farm & Ranch Saws
For a side-by-side comparison of all STIHL chain saws, download our Chain Saw Comparison Chart.
*The actual listed guide bar length can vary from the effective cutting length depending upon which power head it is installed.
Check out many of the features that make these gasoline-powered chain saws in a class of their own:
- The Master Control Lever™ is a single lever that allows the user to operate the choke, starting throttle lock and on-off switch all from one convenient location.
- The IntelliCarb™ Compensating Carburetor helps keep RPM levels even when the filter begins to clog.
- STIHL manufactures its own saw chain for optimal performance and compatibility with your STIHL chain saw. Swiss-made STIHL OILOMATIC® Saw Chain is pre-stretched before it leaves the factory, which helps eliminate excessive stretching during the break-in period, reducing maintenance time and component wear.
- The Electronic Ignition provides easier starting and smoother running.
- An Anti-vibration System helps reduce operator fatigue and improves comfort.
- Our Ematic™ Bar Lubrication System delivers proper lubrication while reducing oil usage by up to 50%.
- The Automatic Bar and Chain Oiler allows the operator to concentrate on cutting rather than bar and chain lubrication.
- Designed to stop the chain in fractions of a second, the STIHL Quickstop® Chain Brake System can be activated manually or by inertia if the kickback force is sufficient.
- The Translucent Fuel Tank allows the operator to easily check the fuel level before starting work while the Balanced Fuel and Oil Tank Capacities allow for efficient refills.
- The Front Handle is designed for a secure grip and is ergonomically angled for comfort.
- Front and Rear Hand Guards help reduce the risk of injury.
- Bumper Spikes help prevent pull-in and provide better control, making cutting easier.
- An All-position Carburetor allows the engine to run at full power in any approved operational position.
- A Combination Wrench/Screwdriver is supplied, providing easy and convenient adjustments to the saw.
- The Chain Catcher helps reduce the risk of operator contact by a chain if it should break or derail.
- Features like Heavy-duty Centrifugal Clutches, High-pressure Alloy Die Castings and STIHL-designed "longlife" cylinders help provide durable, long-lasting wear.
- Homeowners will also enjoy lightweight High-tech Polymer Housings for greater impact resistance, as well as Easy-to-Access Air Filters and Protected Spark Plugs.
- The Spark Arrester Muffler is designed to reduce noise levels and the emission of sparks.
- The Smooth Clean Design has no rough edges to snag on clothing or brush.
STIHL is the #1 selling brand of gasoline-powered handheld outdoor power equipment in America and the Number One selling brand of chain saws in the world*. Sold and serviced through our network of independent Dealers, STIHL power tools deliver versatility and dependability. STIHL tools are German engineered, and many are built right here in America and exported to over 90 countries around the world.* To find one of the over 8,000 STIHL Dealers near you, visit the Dealer Locator.
*A majority of STIHL products are built in the United States from domestic and foreign parts and components. "Number one selling brand" is based on syndicated Irwin Broh Research as well as independent consumer research of 2009-2013 U.S. sales and market share data for the gasoline-powered handheld outdoor power equipment category combined sales to consumers and commercial landscapers ©2014 STIHL.
|Compare||Model||Displacement||Engine Power||Powerhead Weight||Guide Bar Lengths* (Recommended Ranges)|
|MS 290 STIHL FARM BOSS®||56.5 cc (3.45 cu. in.)||2.8 kW (3.8 bhp)||5.9 kg (13.0 lbs.)||40 to 50 cm (16" to 20")|
|MSE 180 C-BQ||--||1.8 kW (15.0 amps)||3.5 kg (7.7 lbs.)||30 to 45 cm (12" to 18")|
|MS 192 C-E||30.1 cc (1.8 cu. in.)||1.3 kW (1.7 bhp)||3.3 kg (7.4 lbs.)||30 to 40 cm (12" to 16")|
|MS 311||59.0 cc (3.6 cu. in.)||3.1 kW (4.2 bhp)||6.4 kg (14.1 lbs.)||40 to 50 cm (16" to 20")|
|MS 391||64.1 cc (3.9 cu. in.)||3.3 kW (4.4 bhp)||6.4 kg (14.1 lbs.)||40 to 50 cm (16" to 20")|
|MS 271||50.2 cc (3.06 cu. in.)||2.6 kW (3.49 bhp)||5.6 kg (12.3 lbs.)||40 to 50 cm (16" to 20")|
|MS 291||55.5 cc (3.39 cu. in.)||2.8 kW (3.76 bhp)||5.49 kg (12.1 lbs.)||40 to 50 cm (16" to 20")|
|MS 291 C-BEQ||55.5 cc (3.39 cu. in.)||2.8 kW (3.76 bhp)||6.2 kg (13.7 lbs.)||40 to 50 cm (16" to 20")|
|MS 201 C-E||35.2 cc (2.14 cu. in.)||1.8 kW (2.41 bhp)||4.1 kg (8.82 lbs.)||30 to 40 cm (12" to 16")|
|MS 150 C-E||23.6 cc (1.44 cu. in.)||1.0 kW (1.34 hp)||2.75 kg (6.1 lbs)||30 cm (12")|
|MSA 200 C-BQ||--||--||--||35 cm (14")|